Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hume on the “Principle of the Uniformity of Nature” (continued)

We expect nature to be uniform: We believe that patterns of regularity observed in the past will continue to hold into the future. This is called our belief in the “Principle of the Uniformity of Nature” (PUN).

PUN is essential to science. The “Laws of Nature,” we believe, will continue to hold in the future as they have held in the past. Without this belief, science is not valid

•Hume’s Critique: Belief in PUN is an irrational belief. The truth of PUN is not established by logical reasoning (Relations of Ideas), and it cannot be established as an observed fact (Matters of Fact) without circularity!

We have no logical reason to believe that the future will continue to resemble the past.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often..

rachelle madrigal
www.imarksweb.org